Download complete list of requirements when applying for a license from the Michigan Secretary of State.
- Read What Every Driver Must Know & Road Skills Test Study Guide (Available at Secretary of State Branches & on website in PDF file)
- Present Appropriate Documentation (Check SOS website for requirements)
- Pass vision test, road signs test, physical standards & knowledge test
- $25 fee for Temporary Instruction Permit(TIP) (Valid for 180 days)
- Must have TIP to practice with licensed adult or driver education instructor
- Minimum 30 days required before taking Road Skills Test (two parts to road test; basic control skills & on the road driving requirements)
After passing road test visit SOS with test certificate, TIP & identification